Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: In other words...
In reply to Great Bustard, 11 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

Paul De Bra wrote:

With a sharp lens mounted on the E-M5 you can certainly see the effect of diffraction at f/8 versus e.g. f/5.6 when looking carefully at 100% pixel level on a sharp monitor. Does that qualify as noticeable?

I typically view my images on a 1920x1200 pixel 24" monitor. At that resolution and monitor size such measurable difference in sharpness is not noticeable. When I take shots with the 12-50 or 20mm there is no noticeable difference in sharpness on my monitor. When viewed at 100% there is a visible difference, and also a visible decrease in sharpness on the 20mm when going from f/5.6 to f/8. But for practical use there is no noticeable difference.

Most of the discussion about diffraction is about differences and softening that isn't really visible when admiring a photo, only when pixel-peeping.

...the effects of diffraction softening depend on the display size of the photo, the viewing distance, the visual acuity of the viewer, the other sources of blur in the photo, and the QT (quality threshold) of the viewer.

Took a look at FZ200 in IR's 'comparometer' to see what kind of resolution we're talking about here. The resolution test chart is shot at f/4 (DoF/diffraction equivalent to f/22 on FF and f/11 on mFT), and I'd say that the resolution is about 2200 lw/pH. Not that bad for a sensor with 3000 vertical pixels.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow