Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,238
Like?
A trip across Australia's Eyre Highway, Part one. Panasonic FZ18 & TZ5
8 months ago

Several days ago, a thread was started by a person in Adelaide, South Australia about it being too chilly to charge a ZS30 [TZ40] and several people wondered what was going on.

So I posted a reply about how different Australia is from the USA & Europe. This prompted several PMs [private messages] which made me realize that many don't know just how different that continent is. These photos don't mention the temperature but show how different the land is.

Here are some photos from my second trip across the continent, the first being in 2001 before I had a digital camera.

You are warned that the highway is unfenced. Actually it is mostly unfenced for over 1,000 miles:

Driving west, the sun - in the North - is on your right side, and very bright:

The distances are so great that in emergencies, the doctor comes to you via the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Edit: [This one seems to be difficult to load - click "Gallery Page" if it doesn't show.

Towns are very infrequent, and often consist of just a "Roadhouse" and you had better stop for gas [petrol] because the next isn't for several hundred miles. This roadhouse also services airplanes, and offers whale-watching tours because the highway parallels the coast, not far south.

A number of pull-offs usually less than a mile, lead to view areas looking south toward Antarctica. These are usually unfenced, and occasionally vehicles fall in. Be careful!

The southern edge of the continent is usually a sheer drop [looking to the right from this spot]:

The cliffs go on for thousands of miles, and there is no surface water - you have to carry water with you. Even where a gap in the cliffs there are only dunes. Notice the cliffs stretching to the far horizon:

I'll leave part one with the sunset over this scene:

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 (Lumix DMC-TZ40)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow