Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,628
Like?
Re: Diffraction Limit
In reply to Dr_Jon, Aug 28, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Too many relate the effects of diffraction to the size of the pixel as opposed to the proportion of the photo the Airy Disk spans.

As you may have read in my previous post (and take this slightly light-heartedly, I'm not trying to start an argument, just add a point)...

I take it personally.  As far as I'm concerned, you may as well have called my mother...

Too many assume the final photo will be the whole sensor area... and use that to make absolute judgements. (Sometimes without stating they are making that assumption.)

I think it's fair to say that we are comparing on the basis of same perspective, framing, and display size.  That is, we are not shooting 200mm on two different formats and cropping the larger format to the same framing, displaying one photo at 4x6 inches and the other at 30x40 inches.  If any such thing were the case, then I would expect someone to explicitly mention that they were focal length or magnification limited with such and such system, and explain why they are comparing photos at different enlargements.

If you crop to zoom, as any wildlife, or especially astro, photographer will do a chunk of time, the diffraction to pixel size can be quite important, if nothing else is limiting resolution at that point. (Also noise, but that's another story.)

Well, as I said, this is a specific scenario, and should be explicitly mentioned if it is the case.  Otherwise, as I said, the natural, and implicit, assumption is same perspective, framing, and display size.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow