How many people just shoot for their self?

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,645Gear list
Like?
How many people just shoot for their self?
Aug 28, 2013

I am not a Pro photographer and I doubt I will ever be. I am happy just taking pictures of things that nobody else cares much about. Things like my kids, the sports they play, space, cats, and bugs. I don’t shoot RAW because I know I won’t have time to edit the pictures.

I care more about sharing them instantly so I shoot jpgs in scenery color mode and share them directly to Facebook. I know my photos could be better but sometimes it just isn’t necessary. I don’t have enough time to spend editing files. I simply check the ones I like in the camera and instantly all of my friends see them on their wall.

Here is a sample of what one weekend in our life consists of. There is no way you could get all of this in and spend countless hours pixel peeping and editing. I will literally spend every weekend for the next 3 months on the road chauffeuring my kids to climbing comps and horse riding lessons. I have no time for anything else.

I treat the camera as a tool for capturing the event. I don’t need the picture to be perfect to remember how great it was. I just need something that sparks my memory of the emotions and actions of that point in time.

The GH3 was the first camera that allowed a novice user like me to be able to shoot all of these challenging situations without spending countless hours editing. That is good enough for me.

However, I still appreciate the Pro photographers that can fix a less than ideal shot with a couple of clicks of Light Room. That just isn’t for me though. I want to spray and pray and get it right 50% of the time. Memory cards are cheap but my time isn’t. I couldn’t possibly do any editing at the locations where I normally shoot but I can easily select the ones I like on the camera and upload them wherever I happen to be(Thanks Verizon).

BMX Riding at the Park

My 7 year old daughters first Triathalon

My daughter riding Bucky

My son(On the right) running my daughter in at the finish of the race.

One cool cat

One cool cat riding a horse

Cheesing it up

He needs a haircut

Selfie

M27 - Single exposure

M13 Single exposure

Fishing in the pond next door

Learning that fishing is all about patience

Learning not to stand behind a child casting

No a big fish but A fish.

Going big!

Bat Hang, Bicycle move.

Image taken from the GH3's 1080p @ 60 FPS video

Cropped in camera macro

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow