Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
Re: I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to wb2trf, Aug 28, 2013

wb2trf wrote:

I agree that a P&S is not much better than a good phone cam in bright light, but my statement stands about not being able to see the difference at normal viewing distance.

But anyway your plan makes sense. The difficulty of the AF on Nex is wildly exaggerated here. You'll probably like the Nex. It certainly takes much better pictures at higher ISOs than any small sensor camera including the RX100. (Also its great if you like pixel peeping bright light photos.)

Well, my normal viewing distance is a 24" 1920x1200 lcd monitor about 18" from my eyes.... so I can certainly tell the difference between a point and shoot >>> RX100 >>> APS-C , etc.  Plus, I do a lot of cropping so it helps to have max quality.... heck, I'm tempted to get an old Canon 5D just for portraits!! : )

Anyways, I'm 90% sure I'll get the 3N with kit to start at this point, and perhaps the 35mm f/1.8.  The one thing I wish they had was a smaller, fast prime (like the samsung 30mm f/2), but who knows... maybe down the line.  I also ready Tamron has a patent out for a 35mm f/1.4 mirrorless so there's hope for even yet more speed perhaps.

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow