Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472Gear list
Like?
Decide for yourself......
In reply to Mel Snyder, 11 months ago

One advantage evident here is all of Mel's shots are done in bright sunlight on a 35' boat.  When shooting in mixed light and especially low light with potential focus points from a few feet thru infinity the AF will miss more.

I certainly agree there is a learning curve.

Unfortunately there is a real issue here with mirrorless AF.  The AF on a DSLR is a non issue, so much that it is rarely discussed outside of tricky or difficult focus subjects like BIF.  This is why I suggested the Op needs to make up his own mind.

From everything I read the jury is still out, and the AF system is not bulletproof.  I am thinking of getting the 6 for every day used with the kit lens, so compact.  Then the DSLR for when the subject matter is more challenging.  For a carry everywhere camera the results do not have to be perfect, and I want compact and light.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow