Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,640Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't think so...
In reply to honeyiscool, 8 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:
That's a matter of opinion of course. There are plenty of EOS-M user not having those problems, myself included, just check in the EOS-M forum. It's easy if you are struggling to focus, you just use the magnify option, not really that hard but most of the time it's no problem, all contrast detect systems struggle at times.

How I know you're not shooting moving subjects: you have time to magnify with an EOS-M and think most of the time, it's no problem. Contrast detect systems do all struggle at times. But the EOS M phase detection is close to awful (esp w/ the 22mm), whereas I have no problems getting great shots of moving subjects on my E-PM2 all day (w/ my 17mm). EOS-M struggles with cat pictures in indoor lighting at night. Do you really think that's acceptable for a modern premium camera?

As I said, there are plenty of satisfied users in the EOS M forum, be my guest if you don't believe me, because you don't rate it doesn't make it a bad camera. The UI is actually excellent in my experience, very easy to use.

It's not much different from many CSC camera's who's prices have also nosedived within the year. It also does something that has taken Olympus several years to crack, it also focuses EF lenses pretty decently and accurately.

Really? Not from videos I've seen. I've seen many videos of how awful an L lens focuses on the EOS-M. Compared to how it focuses on any SLR, it's pretty awful. And yes, some CSCs have nosedived during the year. But cameras such as the GH3 and EM5 have stayed near the same. On the other side of things, the X-E1 hasn't nose-dived either. Cameras that were well thought out and introduced a unique, pleasant user experience have not nosedived.

Well I use EF primes like the 50mm F1.4 and 35mm F2 on mine no problem and so do plenty of others. The cameras you mentioned are top of the range, there are plenty of m4/3's cameras selling for rock bottom prices which have dropped quickly after release throughout m4/3's short history. The EOS-M was over-priced on release but that's hardly unusual in the camera industry.

That aside, consider this, Olympus are releasing the E-M1 and it will cost in the region of £1200 at least. Canon have already released the EOS 100D which you can get for a third of the price and it does most of what the E-M1 is reported to do already. It has the advantages of both mirrorless and mirrored cameras and also has an ovf. It has dual focusing and can take a massive range of lenses as well as the newer STM lenses for video. They're not so dissimilar in many ways and if you're on a budget which one would you buy?

No 5-axis IBIS, though, so I don't know what "most of" you're talking about. That's not a feature you can currently get on a camera less than $900. In any case, you're comparing the most expensive Olympus w/ the cheapest Canon, and which camera would you rather have in the rain?

Well the E-M1 hasn't got a real ovf and plenty of people don't like evf's so you pay your money and make your choice. Canon has the largest user base of all the manufacturers, so plenty of people may be tempted with the EOS 100, especially as they can use all their existing lenses on it. As for weathersealing, I personally don't shoot in the rain, neither do many people, it's an irrelevance to plenty of us. Most modern cameras cameras are pretty well built these days and a weathersealed body isn't so great if most of your lenses aren't weathersealed.
I hope the E-M1 is a success, I've used Olympus for years, thats how I know they're not a cheap option

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow