Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to wb2trf, Aug 28, 2013

Very interesting to see this type of thinking on the NEX in a scenario where I would consider the D5200 to be a clear winner, video aside.

I've owned the NEX-6 for a while now and while I've never used a DSLR, but if I had to do this again I'd either rent or buy one and try it out.

I went back and forth on the NEX-6 finally keeping it (I've bought it twice, returning it the first time) but at the end of the day I should have tried a DSLR. I tried a Panny GX1 m43 and that made me want to sprint back to NEX but again I should have tried a DSLR too.

Shooting kids in low light is exactly where NEX shows it's weakest side - the focusing is just not fast enough. Yes, I make it work...I've found ways to rely on AF-C to take decent shots, but there are plenty of misses and those misses often would have been better shots then the ones that succeed. And if I hand a camera over to my wife in those situations - forget it. I remember trying to shoot this event at my house before I learned how to better utilize the camera, dim dining room lights - I relied on multi-focus and missed almost all of the shots

With NEX-6 it's not about how many good low-light moving kids shots you can keep - it's about how many you're going to have to throw away or simply miss due to slow focus and I've missed plenty.

Here's my advice TRY THEM BOTH! I strongly recommend you follow that advice even if you don't feel like it. There are plenty of retailers, Amazon being one, where you can return the product if you don't like it. Start with a DSLR.

From what I understand the D5200 has an awesome sensor, as good as NEX if not better but you do get more MP which will make larger prints better or give you more room for down sampling for cleaner results or cropping.

The NEX will likely do better in video - D5200 might hunt more and you will likely get lens noises in the audio recording. With NEX you just have a tiny bit of noise with a power zoom lens like 16-50 during zooming.

If video is important to you, as it was to me, I am really excited about the Canon Dual pixel AF - it is worth taking a peak at the Canon 70D although I think the tech will end up in the rest of the lineup soon. It is also the tech that has the potential to place the Canon at the top of the mirrorless market.

Good luck with your decision - try them both - trust me, it's the best thing you can do. AF speed in low light is the Achilles heel of the NEX-6 and the Hybrid AF doesn't help enough.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow