Let's be clear, the ONLY thing about E-M1 that matters is...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
Re: More complex than that ...
In reply to s_grins, 11 months ago

s_grins wrote:

Jeff wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

... its AF tracking speed.

If it can do reliable 9+ fps tracking with 90-20/2.8, it competes with $6,700 1Dx (+ $13K 200-400/4 1.4 Extender to replace that $6,000 90-250).

If it can only do 4 fps or not reliable, it competes with $1,500 6D or even cheaper 70D/D7100 (and loses to the latter for the sports, and there are other cameras like E-M5 which are perfectly good if you don't need sports).

That would be great, but it's not the only thing that matters.

If the rumor sites are to be believed, then the E-M1 looks like a big deal for Oly. If the legacy glass does in fact focus as quickly as mFT, then in one fell swoop Oly has added a whole range of glass to their camera lineup. They can make a strong case for offering a modern, forward looking system meeting a wide range of customer needs that includes working pros.

Being widely perceived as a viable system for wedding, PJ, commercial, and event photographers would be a big win for Oly. They don't need to replace D4's on the side lines of NFL games to have a hit on their hands.

Jeff, I can't agree.

All other mixed AF cameras, - Nikon 1 and recent Canon, do not combine PDAF and CDAD. They use either one at the time. I think that older 43 lenses would not work with CDAF.

Perhaps I'm reading the rumors wrong, but isn't the idea of the E-M1 to include PDAF in addition to CDAF?  If so, it seems plausible that the older 43 lenses would be focused PDAF style, or perhaps with some new hybrid algorithm.  Just hitting E-5 speed would seem like a big win for Oly for a lot of applications.

Am I reading your note wrong?

But I agree that situation could be more complex than that

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow