Re: Diffraction Effects in a Real Lens-Camera System
In reply to Anders W, Aug 28, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

I learn by "concrete proof in the pudding"...there is none for the FZ200 being diffraction limited at f/2.8...

But if it was (for example in the center of the image), then that would actually be a good thing! If a lens is "diffraction limited" (has its peak resolution) wide open, then that just means that it's a very good lens without any significant aberrations, where the resolution mostly will be limited by the unavoidable diffraction.

IF or CONCRETE...I'll stick with concrete...and the fact that there is no concrete proof...

So, if Panasonic came out with a successor to the FZ200 and the succesor were the same camera in every way except that it had a new lens that was "diffraction limited" already at f/2.8, which version would you prefer: the old one or the new one?

Though, maybe Panasonic shouldn't use the term "diffraction limited" in the advertising.

Why not? "Limited" seems to be a rather viable term in marketing speak. Certain Pentax and Oly lenses come to mind for example. And "diffraction" sounds rather advanced, doesn't it. Besides, Canon is already using the term in its lens marketing. Diffractive optics. Great stuff.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_Perf

I know that you are having some fun here Anders. But I went to the site and scrolled down to Diffractive Optics . I first thought this was marketing of interference coatings, but when looking at the illustration

Diffractive optics: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_Perf#f

... and reading this:

"Canon has also developed a triple-layer type DO lens that uses an advanced diffractive grating to deliver excellent performance, with superior control of color fringing."

That looks like concentric diffraction gratings, like a diffracting (instead of refracting) Fresnel lens.

This will warm the cockles of the hearts of those who believe the ideology that in-lens corrections are superior to software corrections.

Now back to the other form of diffraction, your regularly scheduled program ....

t

Panazonic FZ200 Diffraction Limited. We've already got the name for them.

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow