GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,047Gear list
Like?
Re: Diffraction Limit
In reply to s_grins, 11 months ago

s_grins wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

From a very credible source:

"Diffraction thus sets a fundamental resolution limit that is independent of the number of megapixels, or the size of the film format. It depends only on the f-number of your lens, and on the wavelength of light being imaged. "

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Mechanism of light diffraction is not different from diffraction explained in aero and hydro dynamics.

I googled "hydrodynamic diffraction" and couldn't find anything to help me understand the phenomenon of diffraction in a lens/sensor system.   Perhaps you mean the old ripple tanks where water waves were used to give students a more visual understanding of geometrical and physical optics.  If you have something else in mind, please give me a link.

Ditto "aerodynamic diffraction".  If you are referring to Schlieren Photography , I think you'll find that the effect is mainly due to dispersion rather than interference.  Ditto above request.

Ultimately, diffraction depends on hole dia and thickness of the diaphragma petals. Now, presume that thickness of the petals has reached the limits (can't be done thinner), and try thinking again.

The above (thickness of the petals) can be true for pinhole cameras, where the pinhole is very small.  But it doesn't seem to be so critical with a conventional camera, where the "Apertures " are comparatively large, even when stopped down to f/22.  True?

Tom

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow