Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,107
Like?
Re: M43 seems more and more overpriced compared to NEX
In reply to jagge, Aug 28, 2013

jagge wrote:

Hey

Did just see the announcements from Sony and have to say that the m43 system seems more and more overpriced compared to the NEX system. See the new nex5t a very competetive sensor, and the new entry level model, with a very capable sensor as well.

I think that versus NEX, m43 lacks the excellent sensors across the whole range (at the high end, the difference isn't worth considering).  Otherwise, Sony might do a little better with value in inexpensive bodies, but I don't know that I'd extend that to systems.  Until this a3000, NEX lacked an affordable body with a viewfinder (something I believe is crucial to the success of all the mirrorless systems ... I think a lot of consumers keep buying entry level DSLRs over mirrorless because they want a camera with a VF, not a p&s with a lens stuck on it).  Panasonic has the G series, but unfortunately, that's not really on most consumers radar (and I bet Sony gets that a3000 onto a lot of shelves).  The a3000 features low res LCD and EVF and the LCD doesn't tilt, either.  It's a pretty bare bones little camera.  It would win some consumers dollars simply because it's the cheapest thing on the shelf, not because it's necessarily a better value.  And then you get into lenses.  Apples to oranges comparisons all over the place, mostly, but I wouldn't consider either system a better value than the other.

And the cheap sigma primes are a super match for the aps-c sensor, not as much the m43.

If you want to extend the argument, then it's fair to point out that NEX has nothing at all to compete with the excellent and fairly priced 45/1.8 and 75/1.8 and from there you get into all sorts of things that you value or someone else values.  Personally, I have no use for short f/2.8 primes.

I am a m43 supporter BUT I do think that it gets less and less competetive compared to nex.

Well, m43 enjoyed a nice head start, but it was only a matter of time before the competition started filling out their lineups.  And once that happens, it becomes a more fair product-to-product comparison, rather than a big-lineup-to-little-lineup comparison.

Personally, I love the styling & usability of the NEX-6.  And the price isn't bad, either.  I found the OM-D a bit over the top when it comes to controls, though I know it's a well-loved camera, and it's still a bit pricey.  (I could probably justify that difference on the basis of IBIS).  The new 16-70/4 is the first lens in the NEX lineup that I could honestly say I'd want (versus others that I would settle for).  m43 counters with the Panasonic 20 the Oly 45 and 75.  The new 12-40/2.8 sounds somewhat interesting, but I prefer a zoom that gets up into portrait range (I've used 16-80 and 16-85 on my DSLRs).  I do have to admit that NEX has a slight edge in my book with Alpha lens compatibility ... if I look at the lineup and imagine myself shooting with a zoom like the 16-70 paired up with a couple primes (unfortunately, NEX doesn't offer primes that appeal to me), what's missing is a good, long tele ... I can imagine using the A mount 70-300 SSM (yes, I know it's a BIG lens) with an adapter for occasional use.  I wonder if m43 will get to a point where they'll offer fast AF performance with 4/3 lenses to have similar flexibility.

All of which is to say that anybody choosing between the systems has an awful lot to think about !

(I have a NEX system that I purchased a couple years ago, but which now sits unused next to a DSLR kit and a Sony RX100 ... I haven't decided whether to sell it or not ... basically, I can see myself using a mirrorless more in the future, but am not committed to NEX right now).

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow