Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
crsantin
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
Re: Go for the D5200
In reply to chromnd, 11 months ago

I'll repeat what everyone else has said.  I own a D5100 and a few other Nikon DSLR's, and a handful of nice lenses.  Two weeks ago I bought the Nex-6 with the kit zoom, wanting a smaller system.

Image quality you won't have to worry about.  The 6 gets the same image quality as the Nikon D7000 and D5100, it is terrific and high ISO is very good as well.  The 6 feels nice in my hands and once I got used to the menus and layout, I have it set up now where I don't need to go into the menus very often and I'm already able to use the camera fairly smoothly and quickly.   That part just takes a bit of time and practice.

AF is the problem.  I've gotten out of focus shots with the Nex-6, even after getting the green focus confirmation.  There are also times when the 6 wouldn't focus.  I've never had a single focus issue with any of my Nikon DSLR's that wasn't user error.  The D5100 focuses very fast and very accurately, I imagine the D5200 is at least as good.  Heck, my old Nikon D50 still focuses very quickly and accurately, never an error. Nikon has a number of really good, really affordable lens options as well, something Sony is lacking.

I would try both cameras, hold them and use them, see how they feel.  Pay attention to the autofocus speed on both.  Is focus tracking important?  If so, I would get the D5200.  Nikon's focusing system even on their lower-end cameras is very good.  Can you live with a larger camera or do you absolutely want a smaller footprint?  If so, get the Nex-6 and be prepared to live with some focus issues.

I really like my Nex-6, it's comfortable to hold and use, IQ is terrific, it's a great travel camera and one that I can always have around.  I can carry it all day, not get tired and not get noticed.  I'm not quite ready to give up my Nikon gear just yet though, it works very well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow