You can't go home again?

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,261Gear list
Like?
Re: What goes around, comes around :-)
In reply to 007peter, Aug 28, 2013

007peter wrote:

Olympus E-M1 is a Big Camera. If you buy it, you're only sell it again like you did with GH3. Keep that in mind.

I'm not convinced the E-M1 is a big camera; from the photos it appears only a bit wider than the E-M5 and the grip represents the only substantial difference in depth. Height looks close to the same as well, other than the "witches hat" hump being a bit taller.

I agree with the OP that the E-M1's combination of the E-P5's new features (1/8000 sec shutter speed, focus peaking, higher res LCD, VF4 EVF, but built-in now) with the traditional E-M weathersealed body and a newly claimed ability to fast AF 4/3's lenses is enticing.

But my enthusiasm wanes given the apparent $1500 body-only price of entry and lack of any claims to improved tracking ability for birding and sports.

The D7100 offers a class leading 24MP larger APS-C sensor and 51 point AF system, excellent tracking ability, a 3.2" high res LCD, excellent optical VF, built-in flash, true ISO 100, 1/8000 sec shutter speed and weathersealing for $1200. Combine this with Nikon's expansive lens catalog and its arguably a better camera other than size.

Size is mFT's only true advantage, and for myself admittedly a major one. The D7100 at 1.7 lbs. and 5.35 x 4.21 x 2.99″ vs. the E-M5 at .94 lbs. and 4.8 x 3.5 x 1.69″ is in a different world when it comes to ease of carrying about all day, and its larger/heavier lenses simply further accentuate the mFT advantage here.

I'm guessing based on photos the E-M1 is around 5 x 3.7 x 2.3″ (latter in the grip) and around 1.1 lbs., a just right size to allow the buttons and dials not to be crowded. Were it priced competitively with the D7100 at $1200 it would be a no-brainer, even with the E-M1's likely still weak tracking ability. But $1500 launches it into an awkward place somewhere between the best APS-C DSLR and its FF sibling, the D600.

My guess is its price will have to drop for it to sell in any numbers. Despite its name, to me its nothing more than an updated E-M5, and its price should be set accordingly. I'll sit on the sidelines for a year or so and wait for the inevitable drop, being more than satisfied with my E-M5 in the interim.

Or wait for the E-PL6 with all of the above improvements and an add-on grip and VF4, price $550-600 body-only, or $900 combined. With some patience there will be plenty of options at decent prices.

Good luck in your search for the holy grail, OP! Unfortunately, as we all know too well, there is no perfect camera other than the one that's just around the corner .

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow