Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to RonFrank, Aug 28, 2013

Do you want the feel of a dslr? Nikons pletura of fine and expensive lenses, then the D5200 is for you. I am a fan of Nikon, even with regret bought into the system 1. I ten went with the Olympus 4/3rds, again mistake. Thankfully sold both brands and broke even.

I could no longer carry my D700 with my 70-200 VRII. On a tripod great but being older adding a tripod and my gear, I just don't have the strength. Anyway it draws a lot of unwanted attention. Basically you would draw public attention even with the smaller D5200 plus lens. Then last year or so Sony introduces the Nex 7 and it set the benchmark for mirrorless cameras, IMHO. Still I did not want to sink $1300 plus lens into something I could only rely on reviewer and dpreview forums.

The Nex 7 was out a year or so and enthusiasts loved it. Magically Sony in June of 2012 puts out a little brother that fit between the Nex 5 and 7, ala the Nex 6. A tad pricy but with the 16-50 lens $1k. I lucked out and it went on sale and thru my military exchange privileges I scooped it up for $700. This is 3 months after it was in stores  The reviews were pouring in. All good. It was just what the doctor ordered. Portable, quality and fine pictures. The difference between 16mg and 24mg is 8. Many of the good reviewers feel 16 mgs is a happy medium. The 6 is on sale below what I paid and that's compelling. I saw it for $650 body only. Get the new 50mm that just came out  and learn. Fast lens, fine easy to use camera with all the goodies inside and $900 or so you will be happy. Then the new mid or long range lenses Introduced a few days ago will make a great system.

Excuse me for this long essay and ill leave you to the photographers delema, which one? There both nice. Good luck and either way you will make the right decision.

.--
III Corps - I Must Go

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow