In reply to Mako2011, Aug 27, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

msstella wrote:

vzlnc wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

The 18-55 kit lens is not worth using, IMO. It's just not sharp enough. You would be much better off with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 prime for $200, and let your feet do the zooming.

Thanks BlueJakester. I have that lens and it is a great lens. Sometimes it is just not wide enough and no funds for high priced wide angle that I will not use often.

I can relate to the expense of lenses. Thus far I've been successful in having a 3 lens kit with my D5200. I have the Nikon 70-300 VR, 35 f/1.8 and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle. Surprisingly I use the Sigma much more than I had anticipated I would. The following two photos were taken with the Sigma and I'm very satisfied with the IQ for a $430 lens. Click on the images to enlarge for a better view.

Nice images.

I will wait to see what, if anything, Nikon does. I am doubtful that much will be done, but still hoping they can fix or replace, even if it is a refurbished one.

Your 18-55mm needs repair. It is quite a capable lens for its size, price and weight. There is not much of a difference between the 18-XX lenses as far as sharpness is concerned.

Here is a sample at f/9 on Nikon D5000 body.

Thanks vzlnc for validating that there is indeed something wrong. I will have it in the mail to Nikon tomorrow and see what they will do. I am hoping the warranty will cover.

Before you send it in, you really shout take some pics of a flat target (50x focal length away) at 1/200s and wide open aperture in good light. Use both Viewfinder and LiveView so you have comparison. Otherwise you will have no real ideal of what Nikon did or a good way to check their work and contest it if needed.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Great advice Mako. Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow