Finally upgrading my G1, getting the Sony RX100. Should I also get a G5 body and keep my 4/3 lenses?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
smileman
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Finally upgrading my G1, getting the Sony RX100. Should I also get a G5 body and keep my 4/3 lenses?
11 months ago

Some background:

For the past 5 years I've been shooting a Panasonic DMC-G1 with the kit lens, and I also have a Panasonic TS1 waterproof P&S. Both are about five years old. It doesn't seem that the image quality on the TS1 isn't that much better than my smartphone anymore, and I'm not climbing as many mountains these days.

The lack of video on my G1 and its lack of pocketability, having to deal with a lens cap, etc. make it a less than ideal take everywhere camera. So I've decided to sell both the G1 and TS1 and buy a Sony RX100.

In addition to selling the bodies, I was also planning on selling my 4/3 lenses (14-45 and 45-200 OIS) to help justify to myself (and my wife) the purchase of the RX100. Cash is not exactly abundant right now. And I'd read that many people were ditching their 4/3 systems completely for the RX100.

However, I was wondering whether in addition to getting the RX100 as my take anywhere I should consider buying a G5 body and keeping at least my 14-45 OIS lens (I never use my 45-200) for ergonomic reasons alone? I tested the RX100 today. I love the image quality but the controls are pretty cramped.

Are there other good reasons I should get a G5 and keep the 14-45?

Another financial factor which is weighing on me is there seems to be a pretty strong case for getting the RX100 MK2 instead of the MK1 for the articulated LCD alone, but that will cost any extra $150+.

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow