Comparison of SOOC JPEG, Silkypix and Lightroom 5 for HS50 file.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
regos
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Comparison of SOOC JPEG, Silkypix and Lightroom 5 for HS50 file.
8 months ago

Sikypix from RAW, default noise reduction, this is as dark as I could make the sky, any darker resulted in horrible color banding, looked completely un-natural.

Lightroom 5 from RAW, what a difference! This approximates what the scene really looked like. Kind of noisy, but it is a small sensor in low light, and no "watercolor" effect.

Camera JPEG, evening light, sky and mountain totally blown out.

I am new to working with raw, as well as just getting a new HS50EXR. I shoot RAW+JPEG. Most of the JPEGs out of the camera are fine, only a few need post processing. I first used the Silkypix that came with the camera, and posted this same picture in this forum, as one of the examples of my new HS50. Someone promptly used my picture in another thread, as an example of the "watercolor" effects from the HS50. Truth is, as I see now, it did look pretty bad, which I didn't realize until I got Lightroom 5 a few days ago, and re-did the same shot. I am still learning all these programs, and I'm just experimenting, pushing sliders around. I did not do any noise reduction in Silkypix, whatever it did must have been the default setting.

Sorry about the order of these pictures and the text, I need to learn how to manipulate these posts.

regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow