Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?
fairground with E620
Aug 27, 2013

Hello

I took this shot below at the local fair. Oly E620 with a PanaLeica 1.4.

This is the first time in my short digital photography experience that I used my equipment for this kind of shooting : night, bright electric lights of all different colours, fast moving fairground "rides". Most of what I had done is late evening stills, and this was quite a challenge for me. I must say the metering was OK most of the time, except a few cases where I had to put EV correction ( thank you back lcd ). The lens is a very good lens and did well in my view. I am still amazed that this equipment could render all these different bright colours rather faithfully. Magic of digital photography ;-). Focus was a headache , and I finally settled for speed priority with cdaf , cdaf I had never used. For this shot it was 1/500 with 1250 iso at f1.4. Of 110 shots I threw 90 away back home. This shot I consider barely acceptable. Background noise was terrible and I had to run it through Neat Image ( fine software imo ). I am not very experienced and certainly did a few things wrong, but I think the E620 is not up to the task, sensor and focus wise. I wonder if the last m4/3 would do much better and more comfortably, like the OMD or the EP5, or the latest Pana G's or GH3 ? Or should one consider top APSC's or FF's for this kind of shooting ?

Thanks for your experiences.

108's gear list:108's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow