parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,916Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-5T keeps design mistakes from NEX-5R
In reply to kam_wa, Aug 27, 2013

kam_wa wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

kam_wa wrote:

May be they're impossible to find by eye if it was dark, but as with my point above, you can still feel for the button or you can use the touch screen.

Do you ever wear gloves? It gets into the high twenties here in the winter, so I shoot a lot wearing spandex running gloves, which are pretty thin, but still impossible to feel the buttons through. I also use an EVF and don't really want to remove my eye from the finder to hunt for soft buttons on the LCD. I think it would really improve the cameras if the buttons where changed.

I would also really like if Sony had an option to reverse the buttons. A setting that allowed the functions normally found on the bottom button to be moved to the top button would be a tremendous improvement, IMO. The top button is so much easier to find for me, and all it carries is access to the menus, returns and exits. It seems such a waste.

Thank you
Russell

Well in that case, if you require to wear gloves then the 5R or may be even the 5T is not the camera for you (something like a DSLR would also make it easier to hold with gloves on), for some of us we don't have a problem with it.

Sony admit this problem!

If you look at back of the new ILCE-3000 you will see that the soft buttons on this body are still black but have a clear 'screwdriver' texturing on them and a very clear recess around the buttons. This will be easy to find by feel:

Here's the link if the image doesn't appear embedded in the mail:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/picrumors140/A3000_rear_zps03a8a15b.jpg

Why did they not make any similar changes on the NEX-5T?  Answer - because it is clearly not an upgrade at all...

The only possibilities for this very strange release I can think of are:

- just a ploy to introduce charges for new firmware

- a product manager wanted a bonus by releasing a 'new' model (depending on internal Sony incentives) and there were big bonus bucks for 'supporting' the 2013 Bravia TVs and the new line of android phones. Even thought these things will be useless to 99.9% of the customers (even those with 2013 Bravia TVs and a new Sony Xperia phone)

- Sony had a NEX-5R replacement pencilled-in on the roadmap so were commited to doing this for internal reasons (incentives, again?) but at the same time realise that it will be replaced in a few months by an ILCE-5000 type camera so decided 'not' to do the replacement, even though they 'did'

- Sony had a NEX-5R replacement pencilled-in on the roadmap so were commited to doing this for internal reasons (incentives, again?) but the 20MP PDAF sensor they planned to use was delayed (?) so they decided 'not' to do the replacement, even though they 'did'.  Though this one is unlikely as Sony have happily delayed releases of several other models historically and would probably do so again for this sort of reason

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow