is this a bad time to buy OMD EM-5?

Started Aug 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Re: is this a bad time to buy OMD EM-5?
In reply to wgan, Aug 27, 2013

wgan wrote:

according to all kinds of rumours, there will be several new models coming out very soon, and its still not clear whether EM-5 will get replaced or just to fill in the gap, and I really like EM-5, should I wait or just go buy it?

What are you shooting with now?  If its a comparable camera and you have something that can hold you over the it might be prudent for you to wait a little bit.  If you would be in for a huge upgrade then go for it now.

Obviously the price is going to go down, with consumer electronics everything depreciates.  If you asked me if buying the E-M5 plus 12-50 kit for $1,299 is a good buy now then I would tell you no.  If you asked me if a refurbished kit of the same kind is worth $899 then I would tell you hell yes.

Even if you spent $899 on it right now it would last you a long time.  Even if 6 months later something else came out that you wanted to 'upgrade' to you could probably get at least $600 for the kit, probably more.

I'll give you an example.  I bought the E-P5 kit with 17 1.8 and VF-4 kit for $1,449 myself a few weeks ago.  It was a fantastic camera outside of a few minor quirks.  I knew that it wasn't the one that I ultimately wanted  because ar the time I was very interested in the GX7 but I wanted something to hold me over and something I could get used to shooting the m43 format.  I said to myself that I would most likely keep the 17 lens so I would be selling the camera + EVF.  The camera itself is $999 plus another $249 or so for the EVF.  If it were me I wouldn't buy the camera and EVF for $1,000 in a few weeks when I could just buy a GX7 with integrated EVF for $999.  I would probably have to sell for around $850 or even less.  Meaning for a few weeks of shooting I would be buying myself a $600 lens.  That's the issue of buying at the peak when you know for almost absolute sure it won't be a keeper.  Conversely I bought the E-M5 kit for $800 on the 2nd market refurbished with a shutter count for 89.  I conservatively thought that when/if I upgraded in a few weeks that I could get $600-700 for the kit, Maybe even more.  So for $100 I was willing to take the chance.  The amount of keepers and great images that I'm getting is well worth the potential small loss.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow