San Francisco + Chicago Cityscapes

Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
dingobear
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
Re: San Francisco + Chicago Cityscapes
In reply to citizenlouie, Aug 27, 2013

citizenlouie wrote:

LOVE the color rendition. E-620 + Panasonic/Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 was the set up I was going to use but I ended up with 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD. Did you do any color changes, or are they straight out of camera? The color rendition of the E-620 sensor is greatly missed when I am using E-PM2 (I wonder why I begin to shoot more B&W photos with that camera...).

Thanks for your kind comments, citizenlouie.  E-620 + ZD 12-60 would be a terrific combo.  It's getting on in years (in digital terms), but I still love using my E-620.  Great colors of course, as you mention, and also just a really well-thought design.  Love the E-620 features such as the light-up buttons on the back (useful for all of the night shots I like to take); articulating screen (more on that below); and ergonomics (not too big, not too small, comfortable for me even when shooting the whole day).

The Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 is, optically, a great lens.  Sharp across the range, nice color and contrast.  I also like that its performance is optimized toward the telephoto end of the zoom.  The absence of distortion there means really flattering photos at the portrait lengths. Anyway, I can go on and on about the virtues of this lens.

As for the photos, I shoot exclusively in RAW so there are some slight adjustments in Lightroom to things like white balance, contrast and saturation in some cases.  I always post-process to what i remember shooting in my mind - unless I'm after some kind of artistic effect, of course!

EDIT: Oh, and I like The Green Beetle photo, Chinatown, Old Chicago and Ferris Wheel shots best. I can imagine some technical difficulty with cable car shot with focal plane not parallel to the ground, and a little more diagonal angle of the cable car rails would increase the drama of that scene, but I think you did a good job within limitation.

The cable car shot was a tricky one to get.  I was on the rooftop garden of my hotel, looking down on the street.  Problem is, I'm afraid of heights.  So to get the shot, i was holding my E-620 (tightly!) over the ledge, shooting off the twisty LCD screen and LiveView.  Saved by the articulating screen!  Yeesh, I was nervous! I'm glad the shot turned out as well as it did.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow