Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,852Gear list
Like?
Re: You are not the only one!
In reply to Alpha Tech, Aug 27, 2013

Alpha Tech wrote:

Carl Maiorino wrote:

...My D3 has the filthiest sensor of any Nikon I have ever used. After several years, I am still cleaning oil spots off from it.

The oil and dust problem began with the D3. Nikon developed a lubricant that extends shutter life. This is why a Nikon DSLR has a lifespan of 400,000 actuations while oil-free competitor cameras have only 200,000 actuations for their shutter life.

My D3 began having the oil and dust problem after several thousand actuations. By the time it reached 20,000 actuations I was really tired of the constant wet cleanings. I had to clean the sensor before every shooting session. The camera never made it to 30,000 actuations. I was sick of the problem and disgusted with Nikon's attitude that the problem was non-existent. My patience had worn thin and I sold the D3. After switching to brands, chances are I might never own another expensive Nikon camera again. I now shoot Sony on the high end and Nikon on the mirrorless low end.

So you would rather have the shutter fail sooner and have to pay for that repair then do a simple wet clean which would take a few minutes? OK, that's your privilege. Hopefully you can see that someone else might have a different opinion.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow