Started Aug 27, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kevin Chiou
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Like it very much
Aug 27, 2013

I first would like to thank dpreview.com team for writing such detailed reviews on camera and lenses to help us making the right decisions for our need.

My first purchase of digital DSLR was 2006; I stopped using it since two years ago because its highest ISO setting was only 1600. Then I purchased a Canon Powershot S100, I find the photo clarity and sharpness from Canon are very good. However S100 was not meeting my need to take very quick snaps for my children - 3 years old, 5 years old, and 8 years old under indoor lighting environment; S100 is excellent when the lighting is strong enough. After using S100 for 1 1/2 years, my decision was to purchase Canon EOS 100D after reading all the reviews.

I also purchased Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM to replace the lens.  I am very happy with the photo results from this combination.  Every indoor photo is very clear, sharp, with vivid colors.  I am more than 100% satisfied.

What I like about Canon 100D:  I am most impressed with its preset special scenes of - children, candle light, strong back lighting, etc....  Although I understand how to make use of aperture, shutter speed, white balance, etc.; however I need a little time to think about each environment and scene to make proper adjustment with a few trial shots to get the setting right.  However not every occasion allows me to take trial shots and the time to make adjustments.  The preset scenes does the magic to allow me taking beautiful photos right at the first snap; I can use it like a point and shoot.  When time allows, I can use the P mode to make any adjustment as how a DSLR should be.  My wife is especially happy with the preset mode and scenes because she is not interested at all to understand any adjustment in the camera.  Now she only needs to learn turning the mode dial, and find the preset scenes she needs.

What I like about the lens Sigma 17-50 F2.8:  under room light condition, it shows its real strength!  When I compare the photos of the same indoor lighting between photos taken by this lens and by Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, I understood my investment in this lens was worth the money! In my living room lighting, the ISO with lens F2.8 is 1600, but it became 6400 with lens F4.  Surely the F2.8 lens delivers photos sharper, clearer and vivid in color when photos are taken indoors.  Although it is heavier than the kit lens, but it is well worth the change because most of my photos are taken indoors.

Kevin Chiou's gear list:Kevin Chiou's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Kevin Chiou's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
unrated
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow