Anyone else frustrated with the SB-800 head rotation limit?

Started Aug 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
speedy mate
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Anyone else frustrated with the SB-800 head rotation limit?
Aug 26, 2013

I bounce flash behind me off of the ceiling, which I can do most of the time.  But sometimes it's not possible with the SB-800 flash head rotation limit. There is that 90 degree blind spot that seems to be something I wish I had. I have to work around that missing rotation in order to get the lighting I want when I have the flash mounted on camera.

Bouncing flash behind me off of ceiling to prevent direct flash on subject. No problems.

Looking for a portrait orientation. Oops, the flash head won't rotate to bounce flash behind me off of ceiling.

I can rotate it back around the front and bounce directly up. Then I get shadows I was trying avoid, and am more susceptible to faster light fall off than before. I would have used a flag to prevent any direct flash spilling onto my subject, but constantly adjusting the position of the flag in relation to portrait vs landscape is a pain.

Here is my work around.  I flip the camera "upside down" in portrait orientation.  Now, the flash is directed behind me and off of the ceiling.  I retain the light fall off I am expecting, softer shadows, and don't need to whip the flag around like I would have had to.

All of this said, what a hassle.  I don't currently use a battery grip but if I did this would be very awkward.  I mean, it's already awkward as it is.  So yeah.. I could buy a flash bracket to keep the flash over the camera and never worry about this (costs money).  Or, I could ditch all of my SB-800s and buy SB-910s which I guess have full rotation, but that means money to solve a minor annoyance.

Just curious, anyone else have this problem and what did you do?  Or maybe I'm the only crazy one that bounces flash like this?

speedy mate's gear list:speedy mate's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow