Anyone else frustrated with the SB-800 head rotation limit?

Started Aug 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
speedy mate Regular Member • Posts: 140
Anyone else frustrated with the SB-800 head rotation limit?

I bounce flash behind me off of the ceiling, which I can do most of the time.  But sometimes it's not possible with the SB-800 flash head rotation limit. There is that 90 degree blind spot that seems to be something I wish I had. I have to work around that missing rotation in order to get the lighting I want when I have the flash mounted on camera.

Bouncing flash behind me off of ceiling to prevent direct flash on subject. No problems.

Looking for a portrait orientation. Oops, the flash head won't rotate to bounce flash behind me off of ceiling.

I can rotate it back around the front and bounce directly up. Then I get shadows I was trying avoid, and am more susceptible to faster light fall off than before. I would have used a flag to prevent any direct flash spilling onto my subject, but constantly adjusting the position of the flag in relation to portrait vs landscape is a pain.

Here is my work around.  I flip the camera "upside down" in portrait orientation.  Now, the flash is directed behind me and off of the ceiling.  I retain the light fall off I am expecting, softer shadows, and don't need to whip the flag around like I would have had to.

All of this said, what a hassle.  I don't currently use a battery grip but if I did this would be very awkward.  I mean, it's already awkward as it is.  So yeah.. I could buy a flash bracket to keep the flash over the camera and never worry about this (costs money).  Or, I could ditch all of my SB-800s and buy SB-910s which I guess have full rotation, but that means money to solve a minor annoyance.

Just curious, anyone else have this problem and what did you do?  Or maybe I'm the only crazy one that bounces flash like this?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow