Street photo - C&C welcomes

Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
mothergoose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
Re: About feedback
In reply to Arnaud M, Aug 26, 2013

Arnaud M wrote:

I hear your comments and thank you for making your opinions. The consensus that emerges from them is that this photo disturbing. The plight of this homeless man probably hits you and therefore it is best to ignore the distress and certainly not the show.

I don't agree with this. The photo isn't compelling--I'm not feeling the suffering. As others have mentioned, the perspective is not well done. Get down to his level and make it more personal--and show less space above. Another option would be to show more of the surroundings with the man as the focal point.

Personally though, I would feel guilty of exploiting his situation just so I can have a photo to show off at DPR. Too many photographers take photos of suffering and poverty then think it's automatically good photography or art. It takes much skill to do it in a respectful manner.

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow