ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
msstella
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Help needed with 18-55 on D5100
11 months ago

Hi

I am hoping for some help figuring out a problem I have when shooting landscapes with the 18-55 kit lens on D5100. The shots look "mushy" and the autofocus does not always seem to focus. This happens at all zoom lengths. I shoot aperture priority, auto ISO or chosen ISO, sometimes shutter priority, with VR on, RAW. I tried VR off and it seems slightly better. It is better at higher apertures, from f16. I am trying to figure out if it is the lens or my technique. I know this is not the best lens but I think I should be getting better outdoor shots without having to go to f16.

I have had the lens and camera since Feb. but have seldom used the lens. I noticed the issue when on vacation a few weeks ago. I do not have the same issues with my other lenses (35, 85macro, 55-200).

I tried to test it some today and took multiple shots at different apertures, auto ISO, VR off. Here are some of the converted jpegs with no post processing.

Thanks for any insight.

f3.5

f5.6

f8

f11

f16

f22

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow