Started Aug 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,428Gear list
Like?
Voigtländer 42.5mm Portrait Tests
Aug 26, 2013

I emphasize testssince the subject is a decapitated grey alien head. Since I intend to use the new Voigt primarily for portraits, I figured it'd be a good idea to get a feel for its focusing characteristics before taking pics of living subjects. At portrait range the lens snaps in & out of focus quite abruptly, so you have to take extra care to get it right. I ended up using my old rangefinder camera technique, which is to set the lens to a fixed focus distance and then movemyself back & forth 'til I get the focus right.

Here's one at 1.3m with a deliberately busy-ish background. I positioned the EM-5's manual focus rectangle in all these pics to accord with the desired framing, something I couldn't do with a rangefinder. Lens wide open in all cases.

E-M5, Voigt 42.5mm lens, f/0.95, ISO 200.

Now a similar framing but at 1m.

E-M5, Voigt 42.5mm, f/0.95, ISO 200.

Now more straight-on, at 90cm. This is the closest focusing distance of my old WWII-era Zeiss 8.5cm f/2 Sonnar, my all-time favorite portrait lens. The Voigt produces a look very similar to the Zeiss...IMO that's a Good Thing!

E-M5, Voigt 42.5mm @ f/0.95, ISO 200.

Lastly, here's one at 70cm...this is the closest focus distance of the Leitz 75mm f/1.4 I used for people pics prior to getting the Zeiss. The Voigt, in addition to having a bit more effective reach than the Leitz, is also noticeably sharper wide open.

E-M5, Voigt 42.5mm @ f/0.95, ISO 200.

So much for lack of DOF control.    Time to start annoying friends & family with this baby!

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow