My B&W Street Photography Book: EXPOSED!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan Wagner
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?
Re: My B&W Street Photography Book: EXPOSED!
In reply to bosjohn, 11 months ago

Thanks bosjohn!

Forgot to mention, Blurb books charges 25% more if you replace their logo with your own. This is really punishing. I mean 25%? That can be over $40 on many books. Thing is, you're going to tell everyone you know to view the book on Blurb anyway -- the number of people who will view the printed book can often be counted on one hand. So in my opinion Blurb should let people use their own logo -- most people will be too lazy to use their own anyway. But, that's city hall, what can you do?

One can do some nice things with Blurb's iPad book versions -- you can add motion and more. I think this has some great commercial applications.

Blurb used to have a much better iBook (not pdf) type version that one could list for sale for as little as $1.99 -- this was nice for friends or relatives who wanted a copy they could look at on their iPads and such. And they could be marked up -- lets say $2 which brought it to $3.99 which is still cheap. But get this, Blurb won't pay off until you reach $25 -- which takes forever -- I only did this once, and then they deducted $5 as a service fee.

There are other places that make books, but to my knowledge they generally cost more.

My current inspirations are Weegee, Plachy, Avedon, Webber, Ritts, Watson, Salgado, and more. Just finished Weegee's autobiography -- fantastic! His father earned a living with a pushcart in the Lower East Side. My great grandfather did too. And Weegee was a nudist, womanizer, slept on the street or in boarding houses, had a makeshift darkroom in the trunk of his 1938 car -- he even asked gangsters to not steal black cars for their murders because lighter cars photographed better -- and they complied. Some of his technique can be applied today. And he has great advice and not just about shooting, but on how to interact with people and subjects in a variety of situation to accomplish your photographic goals.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Nikon Lenses 10.5, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 VRII, 60 2.8 AF-S Micro, 85 1.4, Zeiss 50 1.4, Nikon 50 1.4G, Two SB910's, Canon G-9 & Underwater housing, Two Quantum 5d-r's, & More.

Dan Wagner's gear list:Dan Wagner's gear list
Nikon D4 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow