Started Aug 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rob4
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Domke or Thinktank for d5100 + lenses
Aug 26, 2013

I'm looking to upgrade from this bag with a homemade insert. Its worked great for me, holding the [D5100 + lens as long as the 18-55 kit], the SB400, [1 spare lens as long as the 18-55 kit] + spare battery, SD card, charger, lens pen, remote, cables, and a paper notebook. I really prefer a small kit, since I seem to always bring it with me. Disregard the Amazon dimensions of that bag, the main compartment is 10.5in x 7in x 5in. The extra compartments hold the odds and ends. A compartment in the back holds odds and ends like a guidebook or paper notebook.

I've always liked this since no one ever suspects its a camera bag, my cut foam block insert keeps everything secure, and the bag sits in front of me so I can go through the tightest areas and keep my gear secure and ready to rock. Camera is lens down, and its really easy to grab and go. I'd like to maintain this.

Bag in its closed position

Back of bag, with very handy pocket for small things. The wide strap width really helps.

Top flap open. You can see my old D40 here and the SB400 + diffuser in a block of foam.

The foam is in three layers. I need to pull one away to get to the second lens. Thats a 85mm 1.8.

I'm looking to go slightly larger, since this bag is too short to hold the 10-24. This is the biggest lens I use, since I lean towards small primes. I have the 35mm 1.8, the 40mm Macro, the 50mm 1., and the 85mm 1.8. I am not looking to hold them all in a bag. Im really just looking to be able to go out, if possible with the 10-24, two primes, and the SB 400max.

So, my army/navy surplus store is a let down. I am looking at the options from Think Tank and Domke as an option. I'm looking at the Retrospective 5 and 7 , and the Domke 700-30D F-3X, and 700-40B F-4AF.  I'm not exactly sure about these sizes posted, since the one for my bag is really way off.

I like that old GI bag canvas bag feel.  Its just me. If this bag was just a little taller to hold that 10-24, I wouldn't make this post.   I'd just deal with it.  Its nicer to have the camera on you with not enough accessories than it is to hate carrying it around.  Thats my feeling on the issue.

So, whats out there that is just tall enough to hold the D5100 + 10-24, the SB400, two primes, a spare battery, SD card, lens pen, and cables?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow