Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bing Chow
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
Re: final test: did i pass?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, Aug 26, 2013

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Take your original test shot into Photoshop and run auto-levels.

I don't use PS. What is the LR5 equivalent of auto-levels?

I see about 50 specks of dust plus a blob of something in the lower right corner.

I do see a fiber in the lower right. I have already noted that in earlier replies.

If you're happy with that, more power to you.

I don't want to come across as sloppy or not caring about quality. Everyone's tolerance level is a little different. Everyone's goals are a little different. Our ability to find those specks are apparently different. Our computers are probably different, screen size is different, etc. I'm viewing my images on a MBP 15" retina. I routinely go to 100-200% to clone things out, but not necessarily dust.

But how dirty does it have to get before you have it cleaned? Jus' askin'.

Stan

The bar I set is this: When I see it in actual images, not test images, and cloning them out begins to slow down my workflow, then it's worth a professional cleaning. I'm not a heavy shooter so even if I have to clone out 12 dots, it doesn't bother me. As my experience builds, or if I start selling images and clients demand cleaner work, or if higher pixel counts reveal more contamination, then that bar has to be raised.

But truth is, I shoot for myself. And so far, I have yet to find a speck in actual processing, which is why it took me 17000 shots to learn how to do this test. I never found reason to do it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow