Recent Adorama Ebay D600 "deal"-- FILTHY sensor

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Bing Chow Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Re: final test: did i pass?

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Take your original test shot into Photoshop and run auto-levels.

I don't use PS. What is the LR5 equivalent of auto-levels?

I see about 50 specks of dust plus a blob of something in the lower right corner.

I do see a fiber in the lower right. I have already noted that in earlier replies.

If you're happy with that, more power to you.

I don't want to come across as sloppy or not caring about quality. Everyone's tolerance level is a little different. Everyone's goals are a little different. Our ability to find those specks are apparently different. Our computers are probably different, screen size is different, etc. I'm viewing my images on a MBP 15" retina. I routinely go to 100-200% to clone things out, but not necessarily dust.

But how dirty does it have to get before you have it cleaned? Jus' askin'.

Stan

The bar I set is this: When I see it in actual images, not test images, and cloning them out begins to slow down my workflow, then it's worth a professional cleaning. I'm not a heavy shooter so even if I have to clone out 12 dots, it doesn't bother me. As my experience builds, or if I start selling images and clients demand cleaner work, or if higher pixel counts reveal more contamination, then that bar has to be raised.

But truth is, I shoot for myself. And so far, I have yet to find a speck in actual processing, which is why it took me 17000 shots to learn how to do this test. I never found reason to do it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TOF guy MOD
vvk
vvk
vvk
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow