What's my RX1 worth ?

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Questions thread
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,069Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree mcshan. RAW+photo Ninja = win.
In reply to Robgo2, Aug 25, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

Chris Crevasse wrote:

Question to those of you who use Photo Ninja: if you've already processed your raws (after converting them to DNG) in Camera Raw or Lightroom, will PN still read the DNG as though it has not been touched by a different raw converter? And what happens to the DNG after you tinker with it in PN -- will ACR/Lightroom ignore the changes PN made to the DNG?

Photo Ninja will ignore the raw adjustments made in other programs and vice versa. If you are on a Mac, simply drag the thumbnail from LR onto the PN icon, and the base raw image will open. There are other ways to pass files between programs. This tutorial may be helpful.

Photo Ninja & LR

Rob

I actually used these directions above to have my workflow set up like this and it works well (been using this flow for over a month).  LR5 manages my image library, I right click a RAW image in LR5 "to edit" in PN, LR generates a TIFF and  PN open with the TIFF file sitting next to the RAW file but PN opens and works on the RAW file.  When done doing my thing with PN, I click the Quick Render button at which point PN replaces the TIFF that LR created with a TIF of the RAW file that PN now just created.  I then hop back to LR5 and the TIF it created is there, only now it is the one replaced by the one PN created.  From there, if I desire I can convert the TIFF to jpeg, do further edits to the TIFF with LR5 (some of the spot editing features, grad filters, etc...) or right click again and now edit the TIFF in NIK.

Several downsides: I end up with 1 or more 100mb intermediary TIFF files that I either need to manually delete or quickly fill my data drive.... secondly, if I delete the TIFF files (which I do), the beauty of a non-destructive workflow is somewhat shot to the extent I do further adjustments to the PN TIFF file in LR5 or NIK (which is likely).

All in all, it is a good efficient merge of the 3 different software packages to capitalize on the strengths of each.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow