reversing a lens for cheap macro

Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael Benveniste
Senior MemberPosts: 1,827Gear list
Like?
Re: reversing a lens for cheap macro
In reply to Niko Vita, Aug 25, 2013

Niko Vita wrote:

I think I will try with extension tubes, which I understand work well for small focal lengths. Maybe also with close-up filters with my zoom lenses. What about Hoya +4, which are available in the nearby store, do you know if they will keep the IQ? Is +4 enough or should I get +10?

Without knowing the type of subject you wish to shoot, I can't say what will be "enough" for you. The higher the magnification, the more difficult the challenges of vibration and lighting. All I can do is give you some rough numbers on maximum magnification:

All three "eBay/Meike" extension tubes: 0.56x

Canon 500D close-up lens: 0.89x

Marumi 330 DHG close-up lens: 1.2x

Hoya +4 close-up lens: 1.5x

Hoya +10 close-up lens: 3.32x

The Canon 500D and Marumi 330 are multicoated 2-element (achromatic) designs. The Canon is a well-established product with an excellent reputation. I own the Marumi -- it's very similar in quality and strength to the Nikon 6T.

The Hoya's are single-coated single-element designs. They are stronger but not as good optically. Century Optics makes a 2-element +7 close-up lens -- it costs about as much as your 55-300mm.

-- hide signature --

I miss the days when I used to be nostalgic.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow