Assistance with choosing an iMac please?

Started Aug 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Assistance with choosing an iMac please?
Aug 25, 2013

I've always been a Windows user but am looking into a Mac (likely iMac, also considering Pro Retina) since I have a bit of credit that can be used towards Apple products that expires before the end of August (and hence cannot wait for the Haswell update).

I am an amateur photographer, only a hobbyist on the occasional weekend and holidays abroad (at which time I would be quite trigger happy), shooting in RAW and have only been touching up my photos with Canon's DPP program (Don't have photoshop/aperture/lightroom). I currently edit my photos using DPP on a Windows 8 ultrabook i5 1.7ghz with 16gb ram. I am finding the process to be quite slow for the conversion from RAW to jpeg (being only able to process one photo at a time, as opposed to being able to process multiple RAW to jpegs as well as touching up other photos at the same time).

Processor speed:

I am thinking that the iMacs would be a more suitable buy at this moment compared with the Macbook Pros given that Haswell for the Pro might be out soon and would be a great advantage to current model Macbook Pro's (and hence not a good time to buy that now).

So looking at the iMacs, I'm deliberating whether the base 21.5" 2.7ghz quadcore i5 is sufficient to run Canon's DPP more smoothly to allow multiple actions at the same time, or is it worth upgrading to 2.9ghz i5, or even 3.1ghz i7?

I find myself wasting a lot of time when it comes to photo editing, sitting in front of the screen not doing anything productive as it converts the edited files to jpeg (note, I don't use batch processing, preferring instead to touch up each photo that I like individually, so I can't set the process to run and then walk away).

And yet another alternative is the 27" which seems rather massive but tempting for its beautiful large screen.. and which start at 2.9ghz i5

Hard drive:

I have seen many strong proponents for Apple's fusion drive, but as it is US$250 more, it seems quite a bit for getting the same 1TB.. does it run that much faster? Is it mainly the booting up and shutting down?

RAM:

As to RAM, I intend to upgrade it after market.

Macbook Pro:

And just in case someone thinks it is worth buying the Macbook Pro now before Haswell is out, at the price listed in the Apple Store then... would the 13" Pro Retina 2.6ghz i5 or upgraded 3.0ghz i7 be sufficient/the better option? I do have an existing external monitor so the 13" is not an issue for me.

I don't have an exact monetary budget but I don't like spending money where its benefit will not be seen/felt, so comments from users and fans of Mac much appreciated Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow