Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,940Gear list
Like?
Micro four thirds camera for street and general work
Aug 24, 2013

I have been considering a camera purchase for a while and enough people (on and off these forums) have suggested "micro four thirds" that I though I'd ask you about them.

I am looking for a fairly small, fairly light weight camera, sturdy. reliable, and portable if not pocketable, for street style and general photography-- something better than my old point and shoot and my iPod camera but easier to handle than my DSLR, something I can use to take a good image and have with me anywhere I carry a small bag or a coat with big pockets.

My ideal camera would have a large sensor (at least APS-C), a built in (not add on) viewfinder (preferably optical), full manual controls, and an optically excellent fast prime lens in the 35-55 mm range FF equivalent, and not cost more than about, say $800.  Obviously, there is no camera out there that meets those criteria, or I would have already bought it.:)

On my current list for consideration are the Fuji X100s and X20, Sony RX100 and NEX 6 or NEX 7 with appropriate lens, and Ricoh GR,  all of which are compromises in one way or another.  Any micro four thirds camera will be a compromise on sensor size, but I would be interested in knowing whether there is anything in that format that meets my other criteria.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow