If Apple abandoned Aperture.....

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: If Apple abandoned Aperture.....
In reply to noirdesir, 11 months ago

noirdesir wrote:

And this apparently is the first time in history that any vendor has ever discontinued an application.

I did not imply that this was some kind of unusual event. What I did say was that Apple seems to have no problem in discontinuing products that have no Mac replacement and are generally considered to be part of an OS. Disc burning software is certainly included in Windows and, in fact, is part of the Windows Explorer. Apple discontinued it with no Mac replacement.

In which form should they have told you? Should every new computer come with a detailed list of what has changed compared to computers sold with the previous OS version (or compared with two OS version back)?

They should have told me when I talked to them at the Apple Store. I was talking to the techs about saving slide shows to disc and no one bothered to tell me that there was no disc burning software included in OS X. Perhaps you don't think it is important but I do.

And, yes, I do think that what basic software is and is not included should be listed. If a machine comes with a disc burner, but no software to use it, then I do think something should be said. If the included software (iMovie) tells you to use a product that is no longer available, then yes, I do think they should tell you.

Suppose they didn't bother to include software to use the usb ports? Or the ethernet ports?

Unless they also discontinue iPhoto (or drop raw support from iPhoto), all raw support updates that enable iPhoto to use those new raw formats will also enable Aperture, until the moment the raw conversion engine is fundamentally changed.

and no bug fixes. It is a serious step for someone committed to using it and, it seems to me, is worth some concern if it happens. I have no idea what Apple has in mind but I was certainly taken by surprise by no available iDVD. My version of iMovie is still telling me to use iDVD to burn my slide shows to disc.

No comment about the end of bug fixes for Aperture if the product is discontinued?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow