If Apple abandoned Aperture.....

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Johanfoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,654
Like?
Re: If Apple abandoned Aperture.....
In reply to noirdesir, 8 months ago

The interesting thing about Aperture is that it will be updated even when Apple doesn't release any updates. As others have pointed out already, that is because the RAW engine is not inside Aperture itself, but inside MacOS X. That point was shown earlier this week: even though Apple didn't release an Aperture update, Aperture suddenly supports Canon EOS-70D RAW-files already, even before I could buy it in any shop in my country. That's the good news.

The bad news is that nobody knows what will happen when MacOS X is updated. Will Aperture still run fine on MacOS X Mavericks without any update? Nobody knows. What happens if I buy the new MacPro with its AMD GPU's? Aperture relies heavily on the GPU, so will it be able to do so on the MacPro, without an update? Nobody knows.

That's why it is logical that Aperture users are worried that Apple leaves them in the cold. And they know it wouldn't be the first time that Apple suddenly loses interest in some area (iDVD, iWeb). Because moving from Aperture to Lightroom is much more complicated and time consuming than changing your word processor or using another DVD burning application, I certainly understand and share their worries.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow