Lightroom workflow question: how to handle multiple views of the same image?

Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KG2002
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
Lightroom workflow question: how to handle multiple views of the same image?
Aug 24, 2013

I am moving from Aperture to Lightroom since based on the trend, I no longer expect Apple to add any valuable updated to Aperture 4 even if it comes out. It will only be more iPhoto like. I actually expect those two to merge eventually.

Anyway, I have LR trial installed and got thought some tutorials. What I can't figure out at the moment is how to manage different views of a same project.

I.e. I have a set of project I need to post process for a Web gallery and for printing. Same images are going to be selected. My post processing is going to be different (cropping, adjustments and etc). How do I do it in LR without having multiple versions of the same image in the main Library?

Initially I though a Collection would help me. I thought I would create two separate Collections and make adjustments in each. However, it does not work since once I make an adjustment in one,  it propagates to the other and to the main Library.

Making a Snapshot also does not help as I see only the current view at a time.

Does this mean I have to create a Virtual Copy every time I need to have different post processing for a file and then stack them in the Library some they are not cluttering the view? Is there any other way to have multiple views that do not show up in the main library? The main Library is meant to keep track of the actual files. Mixing this up with post processed virtual copies makes no sense to me.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow