Review/Impressions: OM-D Grips and Batteries

Started Aug 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
j y g
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Re: The grip is also good for shifting the center of gravity.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Aug 24, 2013

Paul De Bra wrote:

I do not have the grip and want to keep my package small so I'm not getting one either.

But... there is an issue with the E-M5: with a less than trivial lens attached it has a tendency to tilt forward when it is hanging from the neck strap. I find this mildly annoying. Adding the battery grip makes this much less likely to happen. (The center of gravity is lowered and the vertical size is increased as well, both aspects help to avoid the tilt problem.)

Before the E-M5 I used the Canon 450D, mostly with either the fairly large 17-55IS f/2.8 lens or else the 18-200IS lens. Neither combination had this tilt-forward issue to the extent the E-M5 does.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

The RRS camera plate (to which the grip attaches) gives the camera a considerably firmer footprint.  However, with the Oly 40-150mm on there... I just tested it...  with the lens pulled all the way in to 40mm, the body still tilts forward.  Doh.

j y g's gear list:j y g's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow