Your favourite legacy lens not quite up to it any more?

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?
Re: Your favourite legacy lens not quite up to it any more?
In reply to tamras29, Aug 24, 2013

I've tried quite a few legacy lenses, with varying degrees of success.  Most have some degree of halation when shot wide open, which limited their usefulness.  However, I have kept, and still use, two.

One is a micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5 non-AI.  It still surprises me with its sharpness, and after trying ti against the 60mm f 2.5 Oly macro, I found I preferred the Nikon (and returned the Oly).  It can be shot wide open (one would expect so at a maximum aperture of f 3.5!), and it is sharp across the frame.

The other is the Yashica ML 50mm f1.7.  This lens is sharp stopped down 1/2 to 1 stop, and it is the only one of many different legacy 50mm lenses I tried that is.  It also has something wonderful about its rendering, so while it is very sharp, it has something extra to it that makes images from it very pleasing.  I actually prefer its rendering to the M43 Oly 45mm f 1.8, which I have also (although the Oly is sharp wide open, and the Yashica is not quite.)

I have to admit, though, that I am most curious about the Olympus four thirds 50mm f2.  It's supposed to be almost a legendary lens, and if the EM1 is indeed able to focus it with good speed, I could see where one of those would replace both the 55mm macro and the 45mm Oly....but that is for the future, once I know more about the EM1's capabilities.

Here are a couple shots; the flower one is from the Nikon macro, and the cat is from the Yashica (Both benefit from being seen full size):

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow