Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rjansenbr2
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
Pana 20mm vs Oly 45mm
Aug 24, 2013

By chance I've made a real life comparison between the Pana 20mm 1.7 (not the new version) and the Oly 45mm 1.8, both using the OM-D.

It is not a scientific test at all, but I thought it can give a good idea about the differences between the two.

The FOV is obviously very different and because of it I tend to use the Pana a lot more often, but from the pictures you can see the warmer (and more pleasant) colors and the more flattering compression typical of the 45mm.

See how the speaker and the bottle in the back are a lot closer to the subject, because of the different FOV.

I must note that the Pana shot was cropped to match the 45mm . And also note that the 45mm is sharper, but it was stopped down to 2.8 (and the Pana was almost wide open at 1.8).

Oly 45mm

Pana 20mm

Rjansenbr2's gear list:Rjansenbr2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow