Started Aug 23, 2013 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DRB in NM
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
E-520 + 14-54 MKI at the Grand Canyon
Aug 23, 2013

A few shots from a short trip we took to the Grand Canyon. My wife and I hadn't been to it since we were VERY young, and my daughters had never been to it.

We stayed in Flagstaff and took US180 past the San Francisco peaks to the park entrance. It would've been nice to stop and take some shots along the drive, as the forests and grasslands were in great shape, but spending as much time at the canyon as possible took priority.

The park service has done a good job of handling the masses that come, and provide shuttles that stop at every developed overlook. They come by every 15-30min (depending on the time of day) all day long until a couple hours after sunset and you can hop on or off whenever you want.

Most of the shots were with a polarizer, which really cleared up the haze. I do need to do some cropping on some of the shots at 14mm, as I had a haze filter on in addition to the polarizer and the corners of the shots were getting clipped.

Taken from Mohave Point at around 6:00PM. There had been some thundershowers to all around us and the clouds were breaking up a little. Taken with grad ND filters and worked a little in LR4 (to the extent of my current editing abilities :).

At Mather Point near the visitor center. This was, by far, the most densely populated section of the canyon. I like this shot because you really get a sense of the scale of the canyon. From here, we took a shuttle from the visitor center W to Hermit's Rest (no private cars are allowed on this section) and then walked back along the rim trail to Mohave Point, where we hopped on a shuttle back to Canyon Village.

The forlorn juniper

The sentinel

Taken from near Bright Angle Lodge. We had a little dinner on the rim in the Bright Angel Lodge restaurant. After dinner, we took a little stroll in the dark past about eight elk (including two HUGE bulls) grazing on the El Tovar lawn. A shuttle ride later and we were back at the car and on our way back to Flagstaff. All in all, a great way to end summer vacation!

-- hide signature --

DRB in NM

DRB in NM's gear list:DRB in NM's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow