To Sony shooters, blaming our eyes rather than the gear...

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,129Gear list
Like?
To Sony shooters, blaming our eyes rather than the gear...
Aug 23, 2013

Good afternoon everyone,

As some of you may know, I shoot with two cameras (one a850 and one a900). Both are "five-year" old technology cameras, but I think it is fair to claim that they are still superb for still photography. As the years pass by, new gears have been introduced, and the temptation to upgrade might have been appealing to some people. But do we really need to seek for upgrade constantly? My personal take on this is "I don't think so".

I must admit I have never been a big fan of the SLT design, and that is probably what kept me away to purchase the a99 as a replacement of one of my two camera bodies. Basically, I did not think the a99 was a huge improvement over the older 24 MP FF camera for what I shoot.

Let me go further; yesterday I came across this impressive set of "old" photos, and I found remarkable that we still worry about high tech stuff that does not necessarily affect the quality of a photograph. Most of those photos were taken with film camera, but more importantly they were taken by photographers who excel at capturing the whole scene with the right eye at the right place/time.

Galleries of Superb Photos

Serendipity (i.e., other external parameters for which the photographers do not have necessarily control of it) is also an important factor that may be overlooked by us, but I think it contributes greatly to capture a memorable photograph. When skills and serendipity meet each other, it is generally "thumbs up"

Paradoxally, I still believe the camera gear may matter to some degree (especially when it comes to the quality of the optics as well as the sensor size) but at some point, I think our shooting style is limited to our own perception of capturing a scene. When we fail to capture a scene, I think it is fair to blame ourselves (and our eyes) rather than the gear.

When I look at what others have been able to capture with older cameras, I tend to believe that I should be fine with my current gear for quite a long time.

Your thoughts are welcome on this.

Cheers,

Max

-- hide signature --

If I don't answer you, you are most likely being blacklisted...

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow