Africa-Safari with D7100. Which lenses to buy?

Started Aug 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
DanielBme
Regular MemberPosts: 493
Like?
Re: Africa-Safari with D7100. Which lenses to buy?
In reply to AikenMooney, Aug 23, 2013

Personally, I would simply rent the 16-85vr and the sigma 150-500.  The 16-85vr will give you that extra width which would be good for landscapes.  I've been on safari twice and both times I had a 7-300 and each time felt I would have preferred a longer reach.

The other option is to rent the 80-200 with the 2x tc.  It would still be faster than the 150-500.

If you will be travelling around for 3 weeks, you may not want to carry a lot of big heavy lenses.

If you really could afford it I would buy a second camera body for the 16-85 such as the D3100 or 5200 and sell it after the safari.  For the most part that lens will mostly be used for landscapes.  Keep the Sigma on the 7100.

I just booked a 10 day safari in Tanzania for next year...only 338 days to go lol.  I sold off all my Nikon equipment and will be using my OMD-EM5.  I plan on buying a second body and will keep a 12-35 lens on one and a 70-300 (140 - 600mm equiv) on the other.  I'm a little nervous but I hope it all works out!

Don't forget to bring along an extra battery or two.

-- hide signature --

'Not all those who wander are lost.'
- J.R.R Tolkein

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow