Africa-Safari with D7100. Which lenses to buy?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
AikenMooney
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
Re: Africa-Safari with D7100. Which lenses to buy?
In reply to Condor, 11 months ago

When I made my comments I did not have any info on your other eqpt. The D7100 should work well on the 80-400 which will now be a 120-600. I plan to have it on my D7100 most of the time except for very low light levels. I will use the D3s then as I am very comfortable with it up to 4000-5000 ISO. I will have a 1.4 & 1.7 TC. I have not tried the 1.7 on the 80-400 but the 1.4 is fine.

On our last trip I actually go some rhino images with the D3s at 25,600 ISO at a water hole. I printed one at 8x10 & it was fairly good. For web, etc. they were fine. f/4, 1/30 sec at 25,600 is really dark. They were about 50 meters away and I did have to help the A/F with a little manual adjustment. My friend had just gotten his D4 and we were actually just playing around testing it against the D3s. In the real world we saw little difference at the high ISO's but the A/F seemed to be better.

Yes, 500mm and up is a good starting point for Africa but it depends on many factors such as distance to animals, space in vehicle, etc.

I hope you have a great time. Maybe I missed it but did not notice where you were going. We will be in the Sabi River area of S/A in about 10 days and really looking forward to it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow