Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?
A beginner asking for help
Aug 23, 2013

I have minimal printing experience. Years ago I had a low grade Epson photoprinter. For the past couple of years I have been traveling and living in an RV. Now I have a basecamp and am going to order a printer. After mainly lurking on this forum, I have decided on a basic order: Epson 3880 with Tumi cover, Qimage software and Red River paper. I decided to start with RR paper because they are one of the few suppliers to offer 17x25 sheet paper and I may eventually want to print that size. For now I plan to order mainly 81/2 x11 and 13x19 sheets. I am considering a selection of Polar Pearl Metallic, San Gabriel baryta, Aurora Art and UltraPro Satin.

I am also looking at Portfolio cases and boxes and will be ordering a basic 32" Logan mat cutter.

BTW, I have intentionally decided to skip color management devices and software. Maybe I am just pigheaded but it seems that trying to achieve "true" colors or trying to make a monitor image match a printed image are just plain silly ideas. A little experience will tell if I am right or not.

I would appreciate any additional suggestions. Are there items I should be considering? Will some of my choices be disappointing? I am especially in limbo about paper. In the past I used mainly cheap paper and tried a few sheets of Moab fine art paper. Picking papers seems overwhelming.

Thanks, Jim

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow