Africa-Safari with D7100. Which lenses to buy?

Started Aug 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Condor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
Re: You should read Bythom first
In reply to stuntmonkey, Aug 23, 2013

stuntmonkey wrote:

Condor wrote:

Going on an Africa-safari with my brother. We love all nature shots, big games, birds, insects, flowers, etc. As we love landscapes and normal touristic shots. Which lenses should we bought and carry with a DX D7100?

Thanks in advance. Your own safari samples are highly appreciated.

Ed

http://www.bythom.com/safari.htm

Excellent article-website for what we intent to do.  Thanks.

Hogan wrote this a while back, but it jives with what I've heard from folks coming back from their safari trips:

"35mm users need a minimum of a 500mm lens, preferably with a 1.4x or 2x extender. A fast 80-200mm zoom and your wide angle of preference should round out your basic kit. If you have a Nikon digital SLR, you�re finally going to find a reason to love that 1.5x focal length effect imposed by the small CCD sensor. Suddenly your 70-300mm lens becomes an almost perfect wildlife lens (100-450mm), and your 500mm is a eyeball-grabbing 750mm. Basically, you need a mid-range zoom and a longer lens (zoom or fixed). And you'll probably want them permanently mounted on two bodies, as you don't want to be constantly changing lenses due to dust. My current choice is a D2xs with a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR and a D2xs with a 200-400mm f/4 VR. That leaves me a little short of where I'd truly like to be (500mm) at the long end, but for more reach I just crop rather than risk dust entry by putting on a TC. You still need an occassional wide angle shot, so bring a good compact camera for that, or a third body with one of the 18-x zooms."

So in other words, as long as you can go. My choice would be the Sigma 50-500OS to do the heavy duty work.

A Sigma zoom reaching 500mm seems to be the best alternative for my case-budget-needs based on the majority of your great advices and comments.  But while I was checking the Sigma 50-500 at my usual providers; Amazon, H&B and Adorama.  I found the cheaper but almost equal well evaluated Sigma 150-500.  Any comments or safari experience with this last lens.

Ed

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow