First shots with my new HS50, a camera that a week ago I hadn't even heard about.

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
regos
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: First shots with my new HS50, a camera that a week ago I hadn't even heard about.
In reply to regos, Aug 23, 2013

Sorry, here is the post.

My wife had been bugging me to get a long telephoto for my DSLR so she could take close-up pictures of me, windsurfing and stand up paddling. I was flattered, but I explained that to get a lens significantly longer than the 200mm (300mm equivalent on my D7000) that we already had, would cost an astonishing amount of money, be huge and unmanageable for her, would require a heavy tripod at all times and just didn't make sense. She persisted, and I got the idea that a new superzoom camera would be the answer to her request. Thus the new HS50EXR. I love my X-PRO1, and the reviews led me to choose the HS50, sight unseen.

So far my impressions are that, if you understand the limitations of the small sensor, it delivers. I am having fun playing with it. I never had a particular interest in long telephoto style photography (then again I have never gone on safari) but I can see that this is a good way to experiment with

SOOC JPEG

SOOC JPEG

Everyone seems to do a moon shot with these cameras, so here is mine, the night I got the camera, an actual blue moon.

RAW developed in Silkypix

SOOC JPEG, hand held.

This is from the same spot as previous wide angle, just zoomed all the way

RAW, developed in Silkypix, hand held.

SOOC JPEG

SOOC JPEG with forced flash

it. And it works as an all around point & shoot, although its overkill for that.

regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow