Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,694
Like?
Re: This is not a correct way to test for dust/oil
In reply to Bing Chow, Aug 22, 2013

Bing Chow wrote:

leicaman wrote:

Try this again at F16 with the lens focused at infinity ... Shoot up at a white ceiling with AF OFF and no VR. As the camera is exposing turn the camera so that there is nothing that can appear as sharp in the field. Look at the RAW image.... then you will see what your sensor really looks like.

What shutter speeds should I consider? When you say turn, you mean pan?

The longer the shutter speed the better. When I've taken shots trying to find dust I also move the camera so that the lens is constantly tracing a circular or figure-8 pattern. In other words, if there's anything that could possibly be photographed and might be mistaken for dust, it will be blurred into oblivion. I also set the camera to manual focus to insure that the lens is focused at a great distance if I'm shooting indoors. It's focused close if I'm outdoors shooting a cloudless sky or a sky so shrouded in clouds that no blue sky is visible. I'd rather shoot indoors as it makes it easier to get very slow shutter speeds, at least several seconds long.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow