Would you still by the 5D Mrk III?

Started Aug 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,830Gear list
Like?
Indeed a tough question
In reply to TGM123, Aug 22, 2013

It all depends on a few things. Do you need a camera now? Then 5DIII is an easy recommendation, it is superb.

However, if you can wait and if you shoot a lot of field sports, the reach of a crop camera can save you some money. You get a 320mm FOV from a 70-200 lens, and 480mm from a 300mm lens. Yeah, you can add a 1.4x TC to the 5DIII to get most of that reach back, but then you may as well be shooting with the 7DII anyway.

I bought a 5DIII right when it came out and I love it to death, but it definitely made me start lusting for a 300/2.8IS, which I finally bought (used) this spring. It's a nearly unbeatable combo (only beatable by 1DX) but it is a dearly expensive combo.

Hopefully the 7D2 will get the 70D's sensor as it looks to be a gem, and not so packed with pixels.  It will be a very interesting camera.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow